These Cake Mix Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips are so delicious! Made with a box of yellow cake mix, oats, and chocolate chips, this is the perfect cookie recipe! These semi-homemade cake mix cookies will knock your socks off!
How to Make Cake Mix Oatmeal Chip Cookies with chocolate chips:
Since the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favorite, I decided to try and make the recipe a little bit simpler and use a yellow cake mix. It was an instant success! They were the most delicious cookies and so easy to make! This has become one of our favorite dessert recipes!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Yello Cake Mix- Using cake mix makes this recipe super easy!
- Oats- Oats add texture and flavor to this cookie recipe! They will add a mild nutty flavor to your cookies.
- Brown Sugar- Adds an extra depth of flavor to this recipe and gives cookies their brown color.
- Eggs- Eggs are the binder in this recipe that hold all the ingredients together.
- Water, Vegetable Oil- These ingredients will add moisture to the cookies so that they are not dry.
- Chocolate Chips- You can’t have a cake mix of chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips! You could also use butterscotch chips if you want to mix it up!
Can Oatmeal Cookies be Made with Cake Mix?
Yes! Making oatmeal cookies with cake mix is super easy. The cake mix already has half the required ingredients in the mix!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix a box of yellow cake mix, old-fashioned oats, and brown sugar.
To get an accurate measurement of brown sugar, make sure to pack it into the measuring cup. I prefer to use dark brown sugar because the molasses gives it more flavor, but you can also use light brown instead!
Step 2: In a seperate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and water. Next, add the wet and dry ingredients. Mix using an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add in chocolate chips.
Step 3: Drop the dough on the baking sheet using a cookie scoop or tablespoon. Bake for 12 minutes.
If using a tablespoon, round the cookie dough into balls to cook uniformly and evenly.
What Kind of Cake Mix Should I Use?
For this recipe, I used a yellow cake mix. You can find them at any grocery store; however, you can use a different cake mix if you would like. Perhaps use a chocolate cake mix for double chocolate cake mix cookies or spiced cake mix for cake mix oatmeal raisin cookies!
What is the Difference Between Old Fashioned Oats & Quick Oats?
Old fashioned oats (rolled oats) are steamed and rolled into flakes. Making them stay fresh longer. Quick oats are cut into smaller pieces and are steamed longer.
What kind of oats are used in this recipe?
For these cake mix cookies, I used old-fashioned oats. Since they are rolled into larger flakes, they provide more texture for the cookie. Quick oats often denigrate while baking, while rolled oats hold up best.
How to Know When Oatmeal Cookies Are Ready
When the edges of the cookies have become golden brown, and the middle is set and not jiggly, they are ready to be taken out of the oven. If you like chewy cookies, you can take them out just a little bit before they are done.
Variations for cake mix cookies recipe
- Add a mixture of milk, semi-sweet, and dark chocolate chips
- Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, buy chocolate chunks or cut up a candy bar into chunks
- Add other flavors of chips such as butterscotch, cinnamon, white chocolate, or toffee bits
- M & M makes a delicious addition
- Raisons are always a perfect match for oatmeal cookies.
How To Store Cake Mix Oatmeal cookies
Place the cookies on a wire rack and allow them to cool completely. Then, place them in an airtight container for up to a week or in the freezer for 2 months.
How To Freeze Cookie Dough?
Follow the instructions on the recipe card, then roll the cake mix cookie dough into balls. Place in the freezer on a greased cookie sheet until frozen. Once they are fully frozen, place them in a freezer-friendly container for up to 2 months. Place the dough balls in the freezer overnight to thaw, or add extra bake time to cook frozen.
Related Easy Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Self-Rising Flour
- Basketball Cookies with Royal Icing
- Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Cake Mix Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- box of yellow cake mix
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the yellow cake mix, oats, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, vegetable oil, and water together in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring together with an electric mixer.
- Once combined, add the vanilla extract and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough on the cookie sheet.
- Cook for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.