This Chocolate Mound Cake Recipe is so easy and delicious! You cannot go wrong with moist chocolate cake layers combined with a sweet coconut filling and a chocolate frosting! This dessert recipe uses one of my favorite cake mixes, making it super easy to make while still being delicious!
This is one of my favorite dessert recipes to make for my family! It is so gooey and delicious. Using a boxed cake makes this recipe so simple to make, and saves a ton of time. This easy chocolate mound cake is so good it will quickly become one of your favorites!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix– Devil’s food is one of my favorite cake mixes. It is super chocolaty and rich; however, you can use whatever chocolate cake mix you would like.
- Sweetened Flaked Coconut- Coconut adds great texture and flavor to this chocolate mound cake!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- This adds a sweet, creamy flavor to the coconut and moisture to the mound’s cake.
- Confectioner’s Sugar- Makes the coconut mixture extra sweet and delicious!
- Butter- Butter acts as a binder in the chocolate icing. It holds it all together while adding a little bit of saltiness.
- Confectioner’s Sugar, Cocoa- You can’t have chocolate frosting without sugar and cocoa!
- Milk- Along with the butter, milk acts as a binder and adds moisture to the icing so that it combines and is not sure dry.
Steps For Making Easy Chocolate Mound Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Follow the package directions on the chocolate cake mix. Before pouring the batter into the pan, lay down some parchment paper or grease it with pam so that the cake does not stick.
Make sure you have all the ingredients called for by the cake mix. Most cake mixes call for 1-2 large eggs and vegetable oil.
Step 2: Mix the coconut mixture in a medium-size bowl during the last five minutes of baking. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for five minutes.
Step 3: Poke holes in the top of the cake with a fork, and pour on the coconut mixture. This will allow the cream from the sweetened condensed milk to drip into the cake.
Step 4: In a small saucepan, melt butter on medium heat, and add the remaining ingredients. Continue to stir until the sugar has melted and all the ingredients are combined.
Once the mixture has reached a hot fudge consistency, take it off the heat and add the vanilla.
Step 5: Pour the frosting over the cake and sprinkle it with coconut flakes. Enjoy!
You could also try sprinkling some chocolate chips over the top to mix it up!
What is the best cake mix?
You can use whatever type of cake mix you would like. I prefer Devil’s Food Cake or Chocolate Fudge Cake for this recipe. Use whatever chocolate cake mix you like!
How to Make Boxed Cake Taste Homemade?
Instead of using water like the box calls for, try using a 1:1 substitute of milk or even freshly brewed coffee to bring out the flavors of the chocolate cake. These ingredients will make the cake moister while adding extra flavor.
Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the batter. This will take the flavor over the top and make the mound cake taste more homemade!
Why is my cake dry?
One of the simplest answers is that your oven is too hot. If you own a convection oven, it will cook faster than a regular oven. So, set your timer 5 minutes earlier than instructed on the box and check with a toothpick to see if the cake is done.
Another answer is that you used the wrong size pan. For this recipe, you will want to use a 9×13 pan.
Lastly, you may have measured the ingredients wrong. You may have used too little oil or forgotten the eggs. When making the cake double-check the instructions to ensure you are measuring the ingredients correctly.
What makes a cake more moist and fluffy?
When stirring the cake, don’t over mix it. Over-mixing the cake will create air bubbles to rise during baking that will deflate the cake. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined for the fluffiest cake!
In addition to adding water, milk, or coffee, add a tablespoon of sour cream. This will ensure that your chocolate mound cake is super fluffy and moist!
What Kind of coconut should I use?
Sweetened coconut is the best type to use for this recipe. Sweetened coconut adds a little moisture to the chocolate poke cake, while unsweetened flakes are more dry and chewy.
Do you need to refrigerate the chocolate mound cake?
No, you do not need to refrigerate it. However, In my opinion, it tastes better when it has been chilled overnight. That allows the coconut mixture to seep into the cake and all the flavors to meld together into a delicious mound cake!
What do you eat with chocolate cake?
You can serve this chocolate cake with whipped cream or ice cream, or even some fresh fruit such as strawberries. However, this is a super-rich cake, and in my opinion, it is perfect on its own!
More Dessert Recipes:
- Easy S’mores Cupcake Recipe with Cake Mix
- Grandma’s Mississippi Mud Cake
- Cosmic Brownie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Self-Rising Flour
- Southern Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- The Best White Cake Recipe
- Homemade Strawberry Cake
How To Make Easy Chocolate Mound Cake:
Easy Chocolate Mound Cake Recipe
- 1 box of devil's food cake
- 5 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 box confectioner's sugar 16 oz
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place parchment paper or grease a 9x13 pan. Bake the cake according to the instructions on the box. Make sure to have all the ingredients called for before making the cake.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking, combine coconut, confectioner's sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then poke holes in the top with a fork.
- Spoon the coconut mixture over the cake.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add in cocoa, confectioner's sugar, and milk.
- Stir well until the sugar melts and all ingredients are combined.
- Once the mixture reaches hot fudge consistency of hot fudge, remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over cake and allow to cool.