Easy and delicious, these Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers stuffed with cream cheese, freshly grated Colby Jack, and crispy bacon are fantastic appetizers that can be made ahead. Since you cook them in the air-fryer instead of deep frying, it’s a healthier recipe with less mess.
I love this Jalapeño Popper Air Fryer recipe! The sour/ spicey jalapeño with smokey undertones and a creamy, cheesy center with bits of crispy bacon is a great combination that is super simple to make.
Air Fryer jalapeno Poppers Recipe
Ingredients for Jalapeño Poppers:
Jalapeño peppers – Make sure you are careful when you prep and deseed the peppers. If you get any juice on your hands, you don’t want to touch your face! (or eyes!)
Cream cheese – This is what gives the poppers their creamy middle texture.
Colby jack or sharp cheddar cheese – Either cheese works great, or you can combine the two.
Real bacon pieces – You can cook bacon or buy it precooked and chopped.
How To Make Jalapeño Poppers in Air Fryer
Step1: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut and remove the seeds from the peppers. You want them cleaned out and empty.
Tip: How to cut a jalapeño for stuffing? The easiest way to cut a jalapeño is to slice it in half after you remove the stem. Next, remove the membranes and seeds using a small knife or a spoon. (Make sure to wear food-grade gloves while preparing the jalapeños.)
Step 2: Mix all the other ingredients in a small bowl to make the filling. The cream cheese must be completely softened, so the filling isn’t lumpy.
Step 3: Fill each jalapeno with the cheese filling mixture.
Step 5 – Place stuffed jalapeño poppers in the air fryer basket to cook. (If you’re worried about them sticking, spray some cooking spray on the basket to help) Make sure you don’t add too many, or they won’t cook all the way.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is one of the best kitchen appliances! Hot air circulates in an air fryer, producing a crisp layer mimicking “fried” foods without submerging food in oil. It works much like a countertop convection oven that simulates deep frying.
Why Use an Air Fryer?
Using an air fryer is a great way to enjoy fried food without the extra calories and grease. Frozen foods can be air-fried quicker than in the oven, which is a great way to reheat food. They are also convenient and highly versatile as many air fryers offer cooking methods such as toasting or an oven option for baking.
My Favorite Air Fryers
- Cuisinart Toaster Oven Air Fryer
- Instant Pot Air Fryer / Instant Pot Combo
- Cosori Air Fryer
- Ninja Air Fryer
- Instant Vortex 6 qt Air Fryer
How long to cook jalapeño poppers in the air fryer?
You only need about 6-8 minutes of time to cook these tasty appetizers.
FAQs about Jalepeño Poppers made in the Air Fryer:
Are air fryer jalapeño poppers keto?
Yes, this recipe for jalapeño poppers is low-carb and keto-friendly as long as they are made as the recipe is written.
Are they spicy?
It depends on the jalapeño pepper. On the Scoville scale, jalapeños are rated medium heat. They are both sweet and spicey – many describe the taste as a spicer bell pepper.
Why are my jalapeño poppers soggy?
If the peppers are soggy, you may have overcrowded the air fryer. Make sure there is space between the peppers so the air can circulate.
Can you bake them in the oven?
You can. If you want to make them in the oven, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake on a baking sheet for approximately 15-20 minutes.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE:
- To change the flavor of the poppers, you can change the cheese by substituting other varieties such as habanero, white cheddar cheese, gouda, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, etc.
- Kick up the flavor by adding additional seasonings such as garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, or other favorite seasonings.
- Wrap the stuffed jalapenos with strips of bacon. You can’t ever have enough bacon!
- Add protein to your air fryer jalapeño poppers such as pepperoni, chorizo, Italian sausage, shredded chicken, or ground beef.
- Brush melted butter over the top of stuffed jalapeños, then either sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top. The bread crumbs will give them a crispier outside texture. The low-carb option is to use crushed pork rinds.
What to Serve with Jalapeño Popper Bites
Air fryer jalapeño poppers are a fantastic snack for game day or parties!
How To Make Jalapeño Poppers Ahead of Time
You can prep this recipe easily to save time later. For the best experience, I would suggest preparing the jalapenos and the stuffing mixture and then store them separately in an airtight container in the fridge.
When ready to air fry them, set them on the counter to come to room temperature first if you have enough time. They will likely take a bit longer to cook in the air fryer if you don’t.
Tip: If the jalapenos are wet from the moisture in the fridge, pat them dry first with a paper towel.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers?
You can! I would recommend freezing them BEFORE cooking them. That way, they’re ready to fry and eat when you want to enjoy them. You can air fry them frozen.
Tip: Make sure to air fry a few minutes longer.
How to Store and Reheat Extra Jalapeño Poppers
Storing these leftovers is a breeze. Let them cool down completely, then place them in an airtight container. Store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, heat them in the air fryer at 385 degrees for 2-3 minutes.
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES:
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe
- Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Breast (no breading)
- Keto Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies (Air Fryer Recipe)
- Keto Air Fryer Roasted Green Beans
Easy Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers (low-carb)
- 6 medium to large jalapeño peppers
- 8 oz package of cream cheese softened
- 4 oz Colby jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2.5 oz package of real bacon pieces (approx 3 slices of bacon)
- Preheat your air fryer to 385 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wearing food-grade gloves, cut off the stem, slice the jalapeños in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds and membranes with a spoon or small knife.
- Add the softened cream cheese, Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese, and bacon pieces to a medium bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Using a small spoon, stuff the filling mixture inside each half of the jalapeños.
- Arrange the stuffed jalapeños in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure not to crowd to allow the hot air to circulate correctly. Air fry for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to air fry in two batches.
- Remove the stuffed jalapeño poppers from the air fryer, and serve hot!