This TikTok viral, mouthwatering Chicken Cobbler recipe has taken the internet by storm. Easy to make, this comforting Chicken Cobbler requires only a few simple ingredients, including shredded rotisserie chicken, frozen peas and carrots, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, and milk.
The Viral Chicken Cobbler
If you’re on TikTok, you’ve probably seen the viral Chicken Cobbler recipe with Red Lobster biscuit mix. This delicious and easy-to-make casserole, similar to the traditional chicken pot pie, has been featured on Good Morning America and has gained a massive following on social media under the hashtag #chickencobbler.
The quick and easy recipe uses shredded rotisserie chicken, frozen peas and carrots, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, milk, chicken stock, and cream of chicken soup. The key to the recipe is layering the shredded chicken, followed by the frozen vegetables in a 9×13-inch baking dish and pouring the milk-biscuit mix over top, then finishing with the chicken stock with cream of chicken soup.
One of the reasons this recipe has gone viral is because it’s so easy to make and requires minimal prep time. You can have this family-friendly casserole in the oven in just a few minutes, making it the perfect meal for busy weeknights or lazy weekends or as an addition to traditional Christmas or Thanksgiving meals.
Ingredients for Chicken Cobbler
Melted Unsalted Butter: Adds richness and flavor to the dish while helping sauté the chicken and vegetables.
Shredded Chicken: Provides protein and heartiness to the casserole.
Frozen Carrots and Peas: Offers a classic mix of vegetables for added texture and nutrition.
Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix & Seasoning Packet: Forms the delicious biscuit topping with a cheesy and savory flavor.
Garlic Powder: Infuses the casserole with a delightful garlic aroma and taste.
Oregano: Adds a hint of herbal and earthy notes to enhance the overall flavor.
Salt and Pepper: Seasoning essentials that balance and elevate the taste of the entire dish.
Cream of Chicken Soup: Provides creaminess and a comforting, savory base for the casserole.
Chicken Broth: Adds moisture and depth of flavor to the filling.
Whole Milk: Creates a creamy and tender texture in the biscuit topping.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Adds cheesy goodness to the biscuit topping and the filling, enhancing the overall cheesiness.
How to Make Chicken cobbler casserole
The full recipe with detailed instructions and measurements is at the bottom of this post in the recipe card; however, don’t miss the helpful tips and process pictures below.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C). Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch pan, putting it in the oven, then remove from oven once butter is melted.
Step 2: Grab your shredded rotisserie chicken placing it in an even layer inside the baking dish. Follow with layering your peas and carrots over the top.
Tip: If you don’t want to use a rotisserie chicken and prefer chicken breast, follow these steps: How To Make Crockpot Shredded Chicken.
Step 3: Whisk together biscuit mix, seasoning packet, and garlic powder. Then add milk and cheese then stir until combined.
Step 4: Pour the batter mixture over the Chicken Cobbler Casserole.
Step 5: In a bowl, combine cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Pour this mixture evenly across the baking dish without stirring other ingredients. Place this into the oven for 45 minutes and until golden brown.
Top Tips And Tricks For TikTok Chicken Cobbler Recipe
- How To Shred Your Chicken: If you choose to make your crockpot chicken, it can easily be shredded using two forks or a kitchen aid mixer or stand mixer on the lowest setting.
- Adjust Seasoning to Taste: Don’t be afraid to adjust the seasoning to your preference. Taste the filling before adding the biscuit topping, and if it needs more salt, black pepper, herbs, or onion powder, go ahead and sprinkle a bit more.
- Don’t Overmix Biscuit Dough: Avoid overmixing when making the biscuit dough. Mix it until just combined; overmixing can lead to tough biscuits.
- Let It Rest After Baking: Once the casserole is done, rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together, and it’ll be easier to scoop servings without them falling apart.
- Double-Check Biscuit Doneness: Ensure the biscuit topping is fully cooked by inserting a toothpick or a knife into one of the biscuits. If it comes out clean, the biscuits are done; if not, give them a few more minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute the frozen vegetables with fresh ones?
Absolutely, fresh vegetables can be used; make sure to cook them until tender before adding to the casserole.
What can I use as a substitute for the cheddar bay biscuit mix?
You can make homemade biscuit dough or use a regular biscuit mix and add cheddar cheese and seasoning.
Is it okay to use salted butter if I don’t have unsalted butter?
You can use salted butter, but reduce the added salt in the recipe to avoid over-salting.
Can I make this casserole in advance?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole and refrigerate it before baking. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time if it’s cold from the fridge.
What’s a good side dish to serve with this casserole?
A simple side salad or steamed vegetables pair nicely with this hearty casserole.
Can I use a different type of cheese for the topping?
Certainly, feel free to experiment with different cheese varieties to customize the flavor.
How do I prevent the biscuit topping from becoming too soggy?
Make sure the chicken filling isn’t too watery, and avoid overloading the dish with liquid.
Can I make this casserole without the cream of chicken soup?
You can substitute it with cream of mushroom or celery soup if you prefer a different flavor.
What do I do if the biscuits on top don’t brown evenly?
Rotate the baking dish in the oven or cover the browned biscuits with foil to prevent over-browning while the others catch up.
Can I use a different type of seasoning for the biscuits?
Certainly, you can customize the biscuit seasoning to your taste by adding herbs like rosemary or thyme.
How can I make this recipe spicy?
Add a dash of hot sauce or red pepper flakes to the chicken filling for a spicy kick.
Can I use skim milk instead of whole milk?
You can, but whole milk will give the biscuits a richer flavor and texture.
Storage and Reheating
Excited to enjoy your chicken cobbler again tomorrow? Here’s how to store and reheat it properly.
To store leftover chicken cobbler, let it cool to room temperature before putting it in an airtight container. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Reheating in the Microwave
First, remove the cobbler from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes or until it’s heated through.
Reheating in the Oven
If you prefer to reheat your chicken cobbler in the oven, preheat it to 350°F. Transfer the cobbler to an oven-safe dish and cover it with foil. Heat it for 20-25 minutes or until it’s heated. If you want a crispy topping, remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
For the Filling:
Mix Up The Protein: You can use turkey or ground turkey instead of chicken.
Creative Veggie Variations: Customize the frozen mixed vegetables by adding or substituting ingredients like diced bell peppers, corn kernels, green beans, broccoli florets, or asparagus spears.
Swap The Sauces: Swap the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup for a richer and earthier flavor.
Have Fun With Spices And Herbs: Experiment with different herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, paprika, or chili flakes to change the flavor profile.
Change Up Your Cheeses: Incorporate different types of cheese like Swiss, Gruyère, or Monterey Jack for a unique cheesy twist.
For the Cobbler Topping:
Biscuit Topping: Instead of a biscuit topping, you can use a puff pastry, pie crust, or mashed potatoes for a different texture and taste.
Herb-Infused Topping: Add fresh or dried herbs like chives, parsley, or dill to the cobbler dough for added flavor.
Cornbread Topping: Create a cornbread cobbler topping by using cornbread mix or making your cornbread batter and spreading it over the filling.
Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free biscuit mix or a gluten-free alternative for the cobbler topping to make the dish suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
Vegan Option: Replace the chicken with tofu or tempeh, use a plant-based cream soup, and opt for dairy-free cheese and a vegan biscuit or pie crust for a vegan-friendly version.
Feel free to mix and match these ingredient substitutions and variations to create a Chicken Cobbler Casserole that suits your taste preferences and dietary needs.
Viral Chicken Cobbler Recipe With Red Lobster Biscuit Mix
- 1 stick of unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen carrots and peas
- 2 cups cheddar bay biscuit mix + seasoning packet
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 10 ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This step ensures that your oven is nice and hot when you're ready to bake the casserole.
- Take your baking dish and pour the melted butter into it. Make sure to spread the butter evenly across the bottom of the dish. You can use a brush or the back of a spoon to help with this.
- Sprinkle the shredded chicken evenly over the melted butter.
- Layer the frozen peas and carrots on top of the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cheddar bay biscuit mix, the seasoning packet, and those flavorful garlic, pepper, salt, and oregano seasonings. This mixture will add a burst of deliciousness to your casserole.
- Add the milk to your seasoning mix and give it a good stir. You can use a fork or a whisk for this step. It's like creating a creamy sauce that will soak into the biscuits.
- Add the cheese to your biscuit mixture and stir it all together.
- Now, pour this biscuit batter evenly over the chicken and veggies. It's like adding a fluffy biscuit layer to your casserole.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth together in another bowl until they're well combined. This creates a creamy sauce that will make your casserole extra comforting.
- To finish the casserole, pour this creamy soup mixture evenly on top of everything in the baking dish.
- It's important not to stir anything together at this point. Let all the layers stay as they are. They'll come together beautifully while baking.
- Carefully place your casserole in the oven and let it bake for about 45 minutes.
- Once it's out of the oven, allow it to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy this warm and comforting chicken and biscuit casserole!