Mummy Halloween Oreo balls are a fun Halloween party treat kids can help make. With no baking required and just a few ingredients, these Mummy Oreo Halloween treats are perfect for Halloween parties or for kids to make for their friends.
When it comes to fast and easy Halloween treats, these Halloween Oreo Truffles are the best. They’re not only fun to make, but you only need four ingredients. Now is the time to make these sweet no-bake treats for your upcoming Halloween celebration!
If you are looking for a fast and easy snack recipe for the kids this Halloween, make these Mummy Halloween Oreo Balls.
WHY THE KIDS WILL LOVE THESE OREO TRUFFLES FOR HALLOWEEN
- They’re the cutest (and tastiest) mummies!
- You can add sprinkles or other fun toppings.
- The flavor of the candy coatings adds the perfect crunch to the soft truffles!
- They can easily be paired with fun, spooky treats like these Monster Halloween Pretzel Rods!
Oreo cookies – I use regular Oreo cookies, but you could use another flavor.
Cream cheese – Make sure it’s softened completely before using, so it mixes up nicely and is creamy.
White candy melts or almond bark are perfect for melting and coating while adding a delicious flavor.
Candy eyeballs – These look adorable and come in handy for many other fun Halloween treats for kids.
How to Make Halloween Oreo Truffle Balls
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the printable recipe with the complete ingredient list and instructions. These steps are intended as a condensed tutorial.
Step 1: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and crush the Oreos.
This can be done quickly and easily by adding the Oreo cookies to the food processor.
How do you crumble Oreos without a food processor?
If you don’t have a food processor, you need a sealable plastic bag and a mallet. Put the cookies in the bag, seal it, and pound away with the mallet. A rolling pin can do the trick if you don’t have a mallet.
This is a fun step for kids. I double-bag the Oreos, so the bag doesn’t rip and spill crushed Oreos everywhere.
Step 2: Add the softened cream cheese to the crushed Oreos and mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
The Oreo cream cheese mixture will be sticky. This makes it easier to roll into balls.
Roll the crushed cookies and cream cheese mixture into balls, and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (You can use a cookie scoop to keep your hands clean!)
Place the sheet pan in the freezer to harden for 1 hour.
Step 3: After the truffle balls have hardened in the freezer, it’s time to make the dipping chocolate. Melt the vanilla wafers or almond bark according to the package directions. I followed the microwave method.
Fun fact: While most refer to almond bark and melting wafers as chocolate, they are flavored candy confectionery. In this case, the melting wafers taste like vanilla candy and or white chocolate.
Dip the frozen Oreo cream cheese truffles into the melted candy coating, and let the excess drip back into the bowl.
Step 4: While the candy coating is soft, add the eyeballs on top! Next, add the remaining melted chocolate to a piping bag, drizzle over the top of the chocolate-covered Oreo truffles back and forth to look like a mummy wrapping.
Tip: A ziplock bag will work if you don’t have a piping bag. Place melted wafers in a zip-lock bag. Clip off the corner of the bag (tiny clip), then carefully squeeze the bag towards the clipped corner and drizzle it back and forth to finish the mummy oreo balls.
As you can see, these are fun to make! Have the family take a break from pumpkin carving and pumpkin painting and make these sweet treats together.
Best way to dip balls into melting wafers
There are several methods that you can use for dipping the truffles.
Dip them with a fork or spoon – You can set the frozen ball on a fork or a spoon and then dip it down into the melting chocolate. Let the excess chocolate coating run off before placing it on the parchment paper.
Dip using a toothpick – Put a toothpick into the middle of the ball, dip it down into the melted chocolate, and then bring it back up, letting the excess drip off.
Drop the balls into the melted chocolate – if you want to drop them right into the chocolate, do so and then scoop them out with a fork or spoon.
Be sure that you don’t melt the almond bark or melting wafers for too long. If it burns, it will harden quickly and not work correctly. It is best to melt slowly as they can burn quickly.
If this happens, all is not lost. Check out how to salvage seized or overheated almond bark.
How Long Can Oreo Balls Be Left Out?
These shouldn’t be left out of the fridge because the chocolate will start to get soft. I would make sure that you put them back in the refrigerator after 30 minutes or so to be on the safe side.
Should I refrigerate Oreo balls?
Yes, due to the cream cheese, these need to be stored in the refrigerator. Keeping them chilled or frozen is a must for enjoying them as leftovers.
How to Store Halloween Oreo Treats
The best way to store Oreo truffles is to add them to an airtight container with a lid. This way, they’ll stay fresh and won’t absorb any other smells or flavors from anything else in the fridge. I would suggest placing a layer of parchment paper or wax paper before stacking them on top to keep them from sticking to each other.
Can oreo truffles be frozen?
You bet! These mummy Oreo balls are delicious frozen! You pop them into the freezer to save for later, too! Ensure they’re in an airtight container, so they don’t get freezer-burnt.
more Halloween Oreo Ideas
Ghost – Change up the look of these truffles and turn them into ghosts! Instead of adding candy eyes, do drops of chocolate for the eyes and mouth! You can also use mini chocolate chips. (You’ll still dip them into the white candy coating for that same look!)
Sprinkles – Get some green, purple, and orange sprinkles and turn them into Halloween truffles with color! With so many different sprinkles available, you can customize these oreo cream cheese balls for any season or holiday. Sprinkles are perfect decorations for Oreo Balls, cookies, cakes, etc.
More Halloween Recipes
Don’t miss any of our great easy recipes like these Mummy Halloween Oreo Balls! You can find us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Mummy Halloween Oreo Balls Recipe (Fun with Kids)
- 1 14.3 oz package of Oreo Cookies
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 12 oz white candy melts or white almond bark
- 96 Candy eyeballs
- Small piping bag & tip (or ziplock bag) optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Doing so means the Mummy Oreo balls won't stick to the pan.
- Crush the cookies in a food processor or a ziplock bag using a meat mallet. (a rolling pin will work as well)
- Add the softened cream cheese and cookie crumbs to a bowl and beat on medium speed until well mixed.
- Form cookie mixture into one-inch balls and place on cookie sheet. I use a cookie scoop to keep the balls the same size.
- Freeze for one hour.
- Melt the candy according to package directions, reserving a small amount to drizzle over the candy-coated balls.
- Dip the balls into the candy, then set them back on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Before the coating hardens, add the candy eyeballs toward the top of the oreo ball. Make sure to take a look at the Mummy Oreo Balls in the post if you aren't sure where to set the eyes.
- Melt the reserved candy melts by following the directions on the package.
- Once the almond bark or candy wafers are melted, spoon them into a small ziplock bag. Snip the corner off the zip lock bag and squeeze the melted candy coating down to the corner of the bag so it can drizzle out.
- In a back-and-forth motion, drizzle candy back a forth across the Mummy Oreo Balls to resemble a wrapped mummy, leaving the eyes exposed.
- Place them in an airtight container to store in the fridge. If you can't store them in a single layer, I use parchment paper to separate the layers.