S’mores Brownies from scratch are the ultimate indulgence for any dessert lover. They feature a rich chocolate brownie base packed with chunks of peanut butter cups and a graham cracker crust. Topped with peanut butter chips and gooey marshmallows, these brownies are a decadent twist on a classic campfire treat that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Here is a mashup of some of my kids’ favorite desserts – s’mores, brownies, and peanut butter cups. Hello! Can it get better than that? We don’t think so. This is a decadent treat completely appropriate for every season. Your friends and family will love these layered s’mores brownies!
What are s’mores brownies?
S’mores brownies are my husband’s dream because he loves all things chocolate, peanut butter, and s’mores! And now they’re one of my kids’ favorite sweet treats. This s’mores brownie dessert has a graham cracker crust, a thick, fudgy brownie base, and a final layer of marshmallows on top!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Graham Cracker Crust Layer:
- Crushed graham cracker crumbs – use as the base for the brownies, forming a delicious crust layer that adds crunch and flavor to the dessert
- Granulated sugar – use in both the crust and brownie layers to add sweetness and flavor
- Butter – this binds the graham cracker crust together and provides moisture and richness to the brownie batter
- All-purpose flour – provides structure and texture to the brownie batter
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – gives the brownies a rich, chocolatey flavor and a dark color
- Baking powder – helps the brownies rise and become fluffy
- Butter – provides moisture and richness
- Granulated sugar – this is used in both the crust and brownie layers to add sweetness and flavor.
- Milk – gives the brownies a tender and moist texture
- Vanilla extract – enhances the flavor and adds a delicious aroma
- Eggs – bind the ingredients together and give the brownies structure
- Peanut butter cups – chopped up and mixed into the brownie batter to add a layer of creamy peanut butter flavor and texture
- Peanut butter chips – sprinkled on top of the brownies along with the mini marshmallows to add more peanut butter flavor and crunch
- Mini marshmallows – toasted on top of the brownies under the broiler to give the dessert the classic s’mores flavor and texture
How do you make S’mores Brownies
Step 1: In a medium-sized bowl, stir graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Mix completely
2. Coat a baking pan with butter to prevent sticking. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press evenly to form the crust layer.
3. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla extract, and mix well. Next, add eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition.
5. Pour the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture. Blend well.
6. Then, fold chopped peanut butter cup pieces into the mixture.
7. Pour brownie batter over graham cracker crust and smooth well. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
8. Remove the baking dish and set the oven to broil. Sprinkle brownies with peanut butter chips, then top with marshmallows.
9. Broil the brownies for 1-2 minutes or until you have a perfectly toasted marshmallow layer! Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
What is the secret to moist brownies?
What makes brownies fudgy vs. cakey?
Fudgy brownies have more fat, like butter and chocolate! Cakey brownies use more baking powder for leavening and more flour in the recipe.
Can I use a brownie mix from a box for this S’mores Brownies recipe?
Sure you can. Follow the recipe on the box, but I recommend using milk instead of water for a fudgier brownie!
Tips for the Best Chocolate S’mores Brownies
- Choose high-quality ingredients. Especially your butter, cocoa, and milk!
- Beat your sugar, butter, and eggs well. This will help make the brownies fluffy.
- Sift your dry ingredients to prevent clumping.
- Be careful not to under-bake or over-bake your crust and brownies.
- Make sure to toast your marshmallows lightly! I recommend checking the dish around 1 minute to make sure it is not burning.
- Allow your homemade s’mores brownies to cool completely before cutting to serve!
How to cleanly cut brownies
Allow the gooey s’mores brownies to cool completely before attempting to cut! Use a plastic knife, which is naturally nonstick, to cut. Do not cut back and forth, but instead, cut the blade directly into the brownies, pressing straight down to cut. Wipe off the blade in between each cut.
How to store
You can store these decadent s’mores brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-6 days.
Can you freeze Brownie Smores?
Yes, you can freeze these easy s’mores brownies! The graham crackers could soften once it thaws. If that doesn’t bother you, store them in an airtight container that is freezer friendly. You can keep it for up to three months.
More easy s’mores Dessert Recipes:
- Easy S’mores Cupcake Recipe With Cake Mix
- No-Bake S’more Cheesecake in a Jar
- Loaded S’mores Bars
- S’mores Cups with Graham Cracker Crust
- Ultimate Smores Cookies Recipe
- Skillet S’mores
Easy S'Mores Brownies from Scratch Recipe
- 1 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped peanut butter cups
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 10- ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350F and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, ½ cup granulated sugar, and 6 tablespoons melted butter in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well, then pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press evenly to form the crust layer. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in another medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add milk and vanilla extract to the bowl, and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until just combined. Fold in chopped peanut butter cups.
- Pour the brownie batter over the graham cracker layer in the baking dish.
- Bake the brownies at 350F for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and set the oven to broil.
- Sprinkle peanut butter chips over the hot brownies, then top with marshmallows.
- Place the pan of brownies in the oven under the broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are toasted. Be careful not to burn them! Keep a close eye on the brownies and remove them from the oven when the marshmallows are golden brown on top.
- Let the brownies cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing them into 12 bars.
- Enjoy your delicious peanut butter cup s'mores brownies!
- I used regular-sized Reese's cups, chopped them into smaller pieces, and added them to the brownie batter. However, if preferred, mini Reese's cups could be used instead.
- To make 1 cup of crushed graham cracker crumbs, you will need approximately 1 sleeve of graham crackers. If you have whole graham crackers, crush them in a plastic bag using a rolling pin or a food processor until you get the desired amount.
- When cutting the brownies, it's best to do it while they're still warm and while the marshmallows are soft.