Christmas Oreo Balls dipped in white chocolate and topped with crushed peppermint are a simple alternative to Christmas cookies. Easy to make with just a few ingredients, these no-bake peppermint Oreo truffles are the perfect holiday treat.
Christmas Oreo Balls with Peppermint:
This might be the perfect dessert if you’re a fan of Oreos and peppermint. Not only are these Mint Oreo Balls fast and easy to make, but they are such a fun dessert to make with kids. Perfect for the holiday season, they make a delicious festive dessert that anyone can make.
Ingredients for Peppermint Christmas Oreo :
Oreo cookies – Regular Oreos work best, but you can use any flavor or type you’d like.
Cream cheese – Make sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature before using it.
Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract is a great way to add more taste.
Peppermint extract (optional) – This is optional but enhances the flavor.
Candy cane or Peppermint candy – These need to be crushed up. You can easily add them to a plastic bag and smash them with a rolling pin.
White candy melts – Make sure to follow the directions for melting them as you don’t want to burn them.
Paramount Crystals – These are used to thin out the chocolate, making it easier to make these peppermint truffles.
How to Make Christmas Oreo Balls
Step 1: Start by crushing up the Oreos and then combining the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese, vanilla, and peppermint extract, if you’re using it.
What kind of Oreos are best for No-Bake Oreo balls?
I love using regular Oreos to make these peppermint Oreo balls, but it’s really up to you. Just keep in mind that if you use flavored Oreos, it will change the flavor of the recipe, and you may need to adjust other ingredients, such as the vanilla (or peppermint) extract.
How to crush the Oreos
There are a few ways that you can crush Oreos. The first way is to add the Oreos to a sealable plastic bag, pound them and roll them with a rolling pin until they’re crushed. (This is a fun process to let the kids help with!)
The other way is to put the Oreos into the food processor and pulse them until they’re fine crumbs. This method will give you a smaller, more uniform crumb.
Step 2: Use parchment paper to create a lined baking sheet. Then, use a cookie scoop and scoop the mixture onto the sheet in balls.
Step 3: Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl according to the directions on the package, then add the paramount crystals. A little vegetable oil or butter will also work if you don’t have paramount crystals.
How to dip Peppermint Oreo Balls in Chocolate?
The easiest way to dip the peppermint balls into the chocolate is to place one on a spoon and roll it around in the melted white chocolate.
You can also put one on a fork and dip that fork with the Oreo ball down into the chocolate. Bring the fork out of the chocolate, and let the excess chocolate drip through the fork.
You can also keep the Oreo Truffles on the parchment paper and spoon the melted chocolate on top of it. The bottom won’t get coated this way, but it is much faster, in my opinion.
Step 4: Place the dipped Oreo balls on the baking sheet and sprinkle the crushed peppermint pieces on top.
Step 5: Let the Oreo cookie balls rest and harden before enjoying.
Tip: Once they are completely hardened, you can break off any of the excess dipping chocolate around the outside of them.
What is the best way to crush peppermint for Christmas Oreo Balls?
You can crush them in a food processor, put them in a sealable bag, and use a rolling pin to break and crush them into pieces.
Tips for Making Oreo Balls with cream cheese
Soften the Cream Cheese – Make sure the cream cheese is completely softened before adding it. Otherwise, there will be lumps of cream cheese in your mixture.
Beware of Overcooked Melting Chocolate – Be careful not to overcook the dipping chocolate. If you do, the white chocolate will thicken and burn, making it unusable. Heat in 30-second increments, and you should be fine.
Pop in the freezer – After you roll the crushed Oreos and softened cream cheese into balls, you can pop them in the freezer before dipping them in white chocolate. Freezing them first helps to keep their shape and from bits of the oreo/cream cheese mixture from crumbling into the dipped chocolate.
Variations of this recipe:
- Use different flavors of Oreos such as pumpkin pie, mint, peanut butter, golden Oreos, etc
- If you swap out the Oreo flavor, change out the topping. For example, if you use peanut butter Oreos, top them with crushed peanuts or mini chocolate chips.
- Add a different topping other than peppermint, such as crushed pretzels, crushed Andies candies, or sprinkles.
- Change the melting chocolate you use and try a different flavor (Wilton candy melts come in so many flavors and colors!)
How long do Christmas Oreo Balls last?
These peppermint balls should last up to 7 days in the fridge, as long as you keep them properly stored. Make sure to keep them stored in the refrigerator until right before serving, as the chocolate will get soft.
How to store + freeze Oreo truffles:
To store this Oreo dessert, place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge.
You can also freeze truffles for up to 2 months once the chocolate has completely hardened. It’s best to freeze them in a freezer-safe bag or container. When it’s time to eat, move them to the refrigerator to thaw.
More Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes:
- Easy Christmas Reindeer Pretzels
- Grandma’s Mississippi Mud Cake
- Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Balls
- Southern Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Self-Rising Flour
- Cake Mix Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips
Make sure to pin these delicious No Bake Oreo Treats on Pinterest for later.
Delicious Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 36 regular Oreos
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 oz White candy melts almond bark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract optional
- Candy cane or Peppermint candy crushed
- 1/2 tsp Paramount Crystals (approx)
- Crush the Oreos into a fine crumb. Combine crushed Oreos with cream cheese, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract (optional).
- Scoop mixture into round balls and place onto the tray.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30-seconds, stir, then microwave in 15-second intervals stirring between each session.
- Remove from the microwave just before it fully melts. Stir until smooth. Be careful not to overcook as it will burn and thicken.
- Add paramount crystals and stir until dissolved. This will thin out the chocolate so that it goes farther. (You don't have to use these, but they aid in thinning the chocolate and keeping it fluid when added. You can also add a bit of vegetable oil instead).
- Drop the oreo balls into the chocolate. Use a spoon to move the ball around a bit, then scoop it out and set it on the tray. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top of the chocolate. Allow the oreo balls to set until completely firm.